Pic TR: ANZAC 4wd sesh Cobaw Forest, VIC

Tell us about your trip plans. Share your trip reports.

Pic TR: ANZAC 4wd sesh Cobaw Forest, VIC

Postby El_Freddo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:26 pm

G'day all,

I've been lucky enough to get out bush again for a few hours this time after the dawn service at Mt Macedon with my brother - we camped out to avoid the new bus system. It was once again a good and moving ceremony.

Then at 12pm I met up with Subaruby (silver foz) and Deadman (white foz). Subaruby was in a stock foz, Deadman's foz is a stock 2L drivetrain and wheel combination with a 2 inch strut lift, custom front bar with winch. My L series (you probably know the specs, but here they are again anyway) - Ruby Scoo - has EJ22, 4.11 ratio diffs with front LSD and centre locking awd L box, 3 inch lift and 27 inch tyres.

Here are the pics, enjoy - feel free to make up your own captions. It was an awesome day out!

Tracks hit up: Pole Tk, Camp Tk, Soil Pit Tk.

From here Subaruby departed.

Then Reily's fire break tk, some random fire track, Croziers loop tk, another random track or two before popping out on Mooney's Lane to end the day's session.

Thanks to Subaruby and Deadman for coming for the day. Apologies for not having done a reccie before the day as the tracks had severely changed since I was last in the area!

Cheers

Bennie

Cobaw State Forest: -37.239759,144.629173
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Re: Pic TR: ANZAC 4wd sesh Cobaw Forest, VIC

Postby beaujest4 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:50 pm

some nice shots there Bennie.

Is that a solar panel on his bonnet?
Cheers Al

Life is the Greatest gift we are given, Make it the Greatest thing you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpzveeXLO8
beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby ST391GQ » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:09 pm

You would learn a lot real fast about wheel placement , ground clearance. and picking the right lines while driving those jiggers hey.
Top marks for getting out there n having a go.

Cheers Keith
ST391GQ

Postby ross&cher » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Nice shots, looks like a great day out
ross&cher
fire trailer

Postby nig » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Looks like a fun day out

Do the CVs in the front of the lifted forester last long? - the angles look pretty extreme :eek:

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby El_Freddo » Fri May 16, 2014 10:36 pm

beaujest4 wrote:Is that a solar panel on his bonnet?

Yeah it is! He uses it to trickle charge his battery I believe!

nig wrote:Do the CVs in the front of the lifted forester last long? - the angles look pretty extreme :eek:

Yeah they survive well - so long as you move the drive train down with the lift and don't do anything too extreme. Many have worked it out - you can go 2 inch strut tops only without issues with drive shafts, but you loose some down travel (droop as we call it), and if you go with some lifted HD springs it then becomes a recipe for disaster - a mate rolled his liberty that had two inch strut tops, forester struts (longer) and HD springs. Looked awesomely high, but he rolled it after the suspension couldn't absorb the ruts through a corner, car got loose, he thought it came back in but he'd over corrected - I watched him roll two times in my rear view mirror :(

He was all good but obviously his car was totalled.

ST391GQ wrote:You would learn a lot real fast about wheel placement , ground clearance. and picking the right lines while driving those jiggers hey.

Yeah that's one way to put it! Certainly learned a lot driving Subarus offroad. I do enjoy the looks on some people's faces when you pull stuff off they don't expect you to or that they're having trouble with. I usually find that those who could be dropped in the "bogan" category are usually the ones to try and avoid like the plague. The 4wders that are out there to enjoy the environment, the drive and have been around for a while usually give you some respect (or at least a genuine smile) for giving it a go.

ross&cher wrote:Nice shots, looks like a great day out

Yeah it was a great day out, even though the tracks were super chewed out from when I was there a year or two ago and it was slow going with the stock foz for a while, still great fun!

Once we saw off the foz we did the Reily's Firebreak Track. My camera turned off after I stalled so I didn't get the whole track filmed - so I went back the day after - and had an audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MIRV9Ux7Y

Had an awesome time showing Canadia around our back yard (literally - it's behind M&D's!). About 1.5hours later we returned after looping around, getting majorly stuck on a track I've not done in ages, or ever before, can't really remember... anyway, on our return to the start point, there they were, still two vehicles waiting on the track to go up. I hope they stopped for lunch!

Cheers

Bennie
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Postby Foo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:13 am

Surprising what you can do with these little cars. :clap:

Foo
Foo
fire trailer

Postby El_Freddo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Foo wrote:Surprising what you can do with these little cars. :clap:

Yeah Foo, I really can't get enough, much like the rest of us!

Cheers

Bennie
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Return to Travel / Trip Reports