Heading off for a few days

Tell us about your trip plans. Share your trip reports.

Re: Heading off for a few days

Postby beaujest4 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:38 pm

We that is the trip report just leaves the damage report.

The prang. What happened. Well technically I guess I am fault. A victim of two other idiots on the road. I guess it is true what they say, two wrongs don't make a right.
Okay I was leading, Kenny following behind. We had a good safe distance between us. We are travelling south on the highway coming to the Southern turn to Nambucca Heads, speed limit drops form 100 to 50km/h. Back of and drop to the speed limit. As I am approaching the intersection where Riverside Drive, joins the Highway form our left I have about a 40-50 meters gap in front of me to the vehicle in front of me. I see there is four or five cars waiting in the slip lane to merge from Riverside Drive onto the Highway. As I am coming to the intersection I see a courier truck, about a five tonner, coming up Riverside Drive and you can tell he is too important and road rules don't apply to him so darts out into the gap in front of me. No real problem, just shows how arrogant some drivers can be. Cuts the gap down to about 20 meters at best. Also cuts my view of what's happening in front. Anyhow some one in front of him has now decided on the Pacific Highway they will come to a complete halt and let the traffic waiting to merge onto the Highway to get onto the Highway. As the courier truck has only just pulled on the Highway he can see what is happening and rather then use his brake he just slows to halt leaving me about 10-12 meters to come to a complete halt. Realising I am running out of room real quick, especially with the camper behind I have no where to go. I don't know where the other car that was following the courier truck from Riverside Drive, but I move to the left to try and miss the courier truck. Maybe I could have made a more server swerve left and might have missed the truck, don't what the camper would have done. Anyhow, hit the courier truck right on the strongest point, the rear corner of the tray. Just where he had a piece of flat welded so it stuck out for a step to get into the back of the truck. The flat left a nice crease up the bull bar. The impact shunted the bar back and have a couple of paint damaged spots on the bonnet and guard and a small amount of panel damage to guard and under the lights and a broken indicator. Not sure if it is just the mounts or chassis but the bar seems to be pushed over to the passengers side slight too. The side bar is a bit misaligned now too. Oh well.

Cheers Al

Life is the Greatest gift we are given, Make it the Greatest thing you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpzveeXLO8
beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby beaujest4 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 pm

The burnt out cable. Again,my fault i guess. I bought the 80 and i am the third owner. From talking to the previous owner I know there is wiring in the vehicle that goes nowhere and I have done nothing about tracking them down and either removing or making safe. Turns out one of the previous owners had run a hot wire from the second battery to the rear. No fuses or any other safety feature and for what ever reason the cable was cut and left tucked up into the chassis while still being connected to the battery. Who is to know how, maybe the above prang jolted something and caused a wire to bare and the river crossing allowed an electrical connection but the cable burnt out from the battery all the way back to where it passed through an opening in a rear chassis cross member. The last 50-60 meters of cable is fine. Trouble is the cable burning also took out my rear diff breather and rear air locker line. Thanks to Kenny we checked when we got him and there are a couple of other wires damaged which needed minor repairs.

Cheers Al

beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby beaujest4 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:02 am

What else happened. The bed getting wet. No idea how that one happened. her side of the bed was on the down hill side of the river, and it was under the awning. But thinking about it the zipper on the awning is starting to separate and I think the side zipper on the camper wall was open as well, so maybe it leaked in through there. There is no other way the bed could have gotten wet without the remainder of the camper being flooded.

What else. Oh yeah. Back at Georges Junction after having lunch on the last day. Just wondering around having a look at things as you do. I went down to the river to wash up a bit and walking back up and the dog, a three year old cattle dog has gone over to Scrubbies young bloke. Walking up I and talking to him and suddenly notice in front of me about a 4ft red bellie black snake heading towards them. The dog sees it too and decides to say hello as he does the carpets at home. The snake did a half hearted strike at him, came within about 10-15cm of him. 95km out of Kempsey, if he had of been bitten he would have been a dead dog.

Despite the dramas it was a good few days. We will go back there one day and try to stay a few more then one full day.
Cheers Al

beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby nig » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Another great series of pictures Al, sounds like a good trip apart from the dents and the fire.

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby beaujest4 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Yeah all considering was a good trip. Will go back there sometime again and spend a bit more time there looking around
Cheers Al

beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby Foo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:17 pm

:thumbsup: :cool:

Foo
Foo
fire trailer

Postby Taziiy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:56 am

From them set of pictures lookes like a great spot as you said just to get away for a few days :thumbsup:
Taziiy

Postby scrub turkey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm

good job al kenny graet shots yep we will get back there 1 day for longer
scrub turkey
fire trailer

Postby El_Freddo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:41 pm

Awesome area Al! And all those river crossings, blew me away.

I've not been offroading with a camper before, game changer or just a different way to approach stuff. I'm guessing you're not really doing anything that would require reverse on a tight track?

Bugger about the truck. Dash cam is the way to go! Insurance can use it against you or the other driver when at fault ;)

What's happening with the repairs? Going well?

Cheers

Bennie
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Postby beaujest4 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:56 am

Gday Bennie,

Yeah just a few crossing all with a couple of kms of river. Somewhere to head to on these hot days.

The Camper. WE have used a number of tents over the years, grown with the family and shrunk with the family. Also depended on the number of days camping in the one spot or overnighters as to what tent. In the end due to medical conditions and age the humble camper trailer makes camping a lot easier all round. Yes it does restrict where you go but with a bit of forward planning you can generally set up a base camp and do the 4wd day trips. However for the likes of the trips you have posted I can see where a Camper Trailer would be a hinderance. Saying that I think we have all seen footage of people who believe they can take their Camper Trailer on every and any track they like, as if it is their given right. If it is a trip that is not going to be Camper Trailer viable, we make other arrangements, we still have the tents and assorted camping gear to tent camp.

Regarding the damage there is really only minor panel damage and the bull bar pulled back most of the way. At some stage the bar will need replacing as the integrity of the bar is now damaged and will not absorb the same impact as before. Other than that replaced the breather and air line so back to normal.
Cheers Al

beaujest4
fire trailer

Previous

Return to Travel / Trip Reports