Kimberleys - Savannah Way 20??

Tell us about your trip plans. Share your trip reports.

Kimberleys - Savannah Way 20??

Postby beaujest4 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:35 pm

In the planning stages, not for a few years yet. But we are looking at doing a bit of a trip. Maybe an a bit of an epic trip.

On another forum a trip through the Kimberleys was mentioned, which got us thinking and we couldn't find a reason not too.
Their plan (on the other Forum) was to meet up at Katherine and travel the Gibb River Road to Broome and back along the Great Northern Highway.

Our plan was to go with the group but it appears we travel a bit slower then they are, so we may end up doing our own thing and follow our own itinerary. Part of the plan is not to be working so time will not be an issue.

So we are planning on leaving home, Coffs Harbour and travelling to Katherine via Longreach, Mt Isa and Tennant Creek, with quiet a few stops in between. Katherine across to Kununurra the Gibb River Road to Broome. From Broome back via the Great Northern Highway, to Katherine and from there across the Savannah Way to the East Coast, with a detours on the way, like Loralla Springs, Lawn Hill NP and Undara NP. From there come back down the East coast and back home.

Like I said time should not be a problem. We are looking at leaving in mid March and getting back in early November, being eight months on the road.

We have a list of places we want to see but what I am asking is from others that have been there, what you recommend, don't recommend, which places to stay at, not to stay at, that sort of thing. So come on guys tell me your experiences in the Kimberley or Savannah Way.
Cheers Al

Life is the Greatest gift we are given, Make it the Greatest thing you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpzveeXLO8
beaujest4
fire trailer

Re: Kimberleys - Savannah Way 20??

Postby nig » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:10 am

That is a trip I would like to do as well - have not gone beyond Mt Isa though, so cant really help that much

A couple of National Parks in Qld. that I have camped at along that route and that worked well for us were Bladensburg, near Winton, and Idalia near Blackall, but with time to play with there are a heap of others along the way.

Jealous though, maybe when I retire will do something similar

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Re: Kimberleys - Savannah Way 20??

Postby ST391GQ » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey Al,
Ron Moon has a couple of good guidebooks out on those regions...plus has a couple of good write - ups in some recent editions of 4x4 Australia
Also have a sqizz at the grey nomads forum..lotsa good info on there regarding caravan parks...campsites..places to see etc
http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/

Cheers Keith
ST391GQ

Return to Travel / Trip Reports