Next bit of kit...

Show us your build up, project, or make us jealous and show us your shed!!

Postby beaujest4 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Great work, Bennie, looks the goods
Cheers Al

Life is the Greatest gift we are given, Make it the Greatest thing you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpzveeXLO8
beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby Taziiy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 pm

well done it looks so factory
Taziiy

Postby El_Freddo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 pm

A lot has happened since my last post. We were meant to head off to WA for a few weeks over the christmas holiday period. That didn't happen - I got my AC gassed (first car to have it!) then I popped a Head Gasket two days before xmas. Super pissed the trip was off.

Then the fun began. Don't try to do any mechanical work over the christmas/new year period if you're not already geared up to do it - It took me ages to get the thing going between the heat, fires, and businesses being closed for holidays. I managed to get her going just before the Australia day long weekend!

I checked out the water pump and found it to be in good condition. Alas, it's not. And I've still got to work out a better radiator setup. My custom one is getting on and it's leaking in the middle row and I'm just over it. So I'm looking into a Nissan N14 pulsar radiator that a mate thinks will fit without an issue. Time will tell on that one.

Here's a couple of pics of her since being back in action - unfortunately none offroad :(

^ It seems this is becoming an annual event, pulling the boat out of the water. I really need to sort out the extended breather on the rear diff.

I'm also thinking my 5th gear is a midge too tall. Something shorter to bump the revs about 250rpm would be great.

I'm also quietly toying with the idea of fitting a SC14 supercharger. It's been done before so I'm not pioneering anything on this one, except how to fit it under my bonnet... It might not ever happen, but since I'm going to have another daily on the road before too long I could do this with some time...

We'll see, I've toyed with this idea a few years back but never did anything about it.

Cheers

Bennie
Do what you like, like what you do!
[SIZE="1"]El Freddo's Youtube[/SIZE]
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Postby nig » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Looks like you are not stuck for work to do then:lol:

Keep modding:thumbsup:

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby El_Freddo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:36 pm

nig wrote:Looks like you are not stuck for work to do then:lol:

Yeah and that's before I talk about what's going on at work...

New water pump should be ordered this week, picked up on the weekend. Dunno when I'll get time to swap it out - probably bit by bit after work each night :/

Cheers

Bennie
Do what you like, like what you do!
[SIZE="1"]El Freddo's Youtube[/SIZE]
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Re: Next bit of kit...

Postby El_Freddo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:07 pm

So the water pump went in late in the term, a new radiator from an N13 nissan pulsar was fitted with minor mods - the jury is still out on this radiator effectively cooling the engine. I really need to get an accurate temp guage to know exactly what's going on under the bonnet rather than relying on the factory gauge on the dash as it doesn't respond so well to the EJ sender unit...

The gearbox I reckon is what made the last trip so successful! It can really cruise up steep hills now, and if it bogs down the trick that's worked so far is to reverse down and try with more revs :thumbsup:

That said it's been awesome out in Walhalla! I'm super keen to get out on more trips now that she's up and running well again!

Trip report here.

Cheers

Bennie
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Postby beaujest4 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 pm

From your trip report the Subbie definitely seems to be running pretty good for you. Did you work out why the wheel nuts came loose?
Cheers Al

Life is the Greatest gift we are given, Make it the Greatest thing you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpzveeXLO8
beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby nig » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Great pictures, you had a good photographer along on the trip with you :thumbsup:

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby El_Freddo » Sat May 10, 2014 11:27 pm

nig wrote:Great pictures, you had a good photographer along on the trip with you :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. I took most of the pics, but the moving ones my mate had my camera...

beaujest4 wrote:From your trip report the Subbie definitely seems to be running pretty good for you. Did you work out why the wheel nuts came loose?

Yeah it's going pretty well offroad. Still not fully satisfied with it's cruising power/pull that it used to have with the old gearbox, not sure what I'll do here yet. Very happy with the "proper" low range, diff ratio and wheel diametre combination I'm using.

As for the wheel nuts, no idea, but it pays to check them. I've worked out it's been a good 9-10 months since I've changed any tyres. That coupled with some of the terrain we were seeing, the heating of the brakes/hub then the cooling created by river crossings I think it was just enough to loosen things off enough to become a problem quickly. Glad I wasn't going fast!

Now looking for a replacement windscreen sticker to put back on the car like the old one...

Cheers

Bennie
El_Freddo
fire trailer

Previous

Return to Projects and Build ups