1966 Nissan Patrol

Show us your build up, project, or make us jealous and show us your shed!!

1966 Nissan Patrol

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:28 pm

G`day all Members, Welcome to my Thread on which is my 1966 G60 MWB Project .
This awesome Green 1966 G60 is the newest addition to my G60 Family, hopefully not the last
A few Will remember the Advertisement on here a few weeks back, I Purchased the tidy 66 form two Very Friendly people by the name of Robert and Natalie Moore who were the PO's of this awesome truck.
I Purchased this beast for a small, Bargain sum of only $200 (anybody Jealous) ,I believe it was on the property when Bob Brought the Place, Which Was originally there from when the original owner first lived on that property. The G60's old Property is situated 15-mins from home amongst the rugged hills near the locality called "The Pinnacles" .I don’t know a great deal about this Truck, but I know from a Good Resource and Visual signs that this G60 hasn’t been thrashed and worked hard, believe it or not it only has an original 55,000 miles on the Engine, and it is spotless. The Gearbox it an absolute Corker, with no whine, that’s what I like.
All the Front Panels including Grill are slightly Buckled, they could be repaired, but have lined up a Set From MR Mucks parts Truck "Oz roger",which I am looking forward to but he doesn’t know when he will get to Oz-Roger next, and I’m organizing the Cash to get ready to transfer to him. This Truck been a Bit of a "Hero" Truck according to Bob, he said it had recovered a Flipped over Car with a passenger Trapped on the local Road near his place, as well as Snagging a Tip Truck with a Seized Diff out of a ditch, assisting in helping them back onto their travels.
At this point in time ,I’m 95% Certain of the Future for the 66,which I am pleased to say she'll not be anything short of a Restored, preferably not a body off I been told by a Reliable Resource (one who which Drives a Blue G60 Ute, and the other owns a Truck called "Diablo) Which I am definitely going to take their word for as these guy know there 60's. The Reason I Going to restore or fix up enough to pass Rego (then Go show it off) as it's rare these days to see many G60,let alone a 1960's G60 as there mainly 1970's models left ,and another reason is that it is identical to a Rolls Royce when compared to "Big Red" and the "Blue Beast" Condition Wise, at least

Well I got the 1966 G60 Home, Unfortunately she didn’t fit in the shed as the Windscreen Hinges were Seized, and couldn’t be folded down and also the big Roll bar style thing on the back stand to high, so luckily I had 2 Little Tarps
The Motor is one Great old Motor ,Hadn’t been Started in a long time, New Plugs, Petrol Filter Battery was all that was needed, with an Good Service and only an Original 55,000 Miles this engines going to be around for a long time.
The interior is minor Ruff, but still pretty damn Good for a 45 Year old Nissan, Apart form the Wasps Nets and a Few little rust Patches, this isn’t going to take much Work. The Floors are Great, Minimal Rust and only two tiny holes in the passenger side, and not a single sing of Rust in the Passenger foot wells.
The Rear Tray and Quarters are pretty Good to, minor surface rust in the floor and only a Tiny Bit in Passenger Side Quarter panels. Both the Bonnet and Windscreen are top Shape, although the only rust in the Bonnet is a Patch the size of about a 50c Piece, light surface rust in The Windscreen. The Doors are Great, no rust at all and only a 5mm Hairline Crack, although that’s not uncommon for a G60.
Here is some photos of the day I towed it home.
1966 G60 - UPDATE 08/01/2012
Been Playing a bit on the 66 G60 Trying to Arrange a Better Fuel line assembly, and am Trying to Fit and original Air filter to the Stromberg Carbie. Also I been checking out the under Carriage of the 66' Appears that there is a Fair Bit of Paint Flaked off, but that’s not Affecting the Strength and Structure of the Chassis. Although the Paint Flaking looks a Bit Ruff the chassis is a tops though, No holes, minor Surface Rust, No Rust inside Chassis, which is a Good sign for a 45 Year old 4wd.
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Brakes are Typical, and requiring a few Pumps to Work but they pull her up all right when pumped up. Had some Trouble Removing the Drums but got them off with help that’s to swerve (Great Help, cheers mate) the Brakes will receive the Treatment before it comes the Day for rego, just in case.
So I been over the G60 and Made a list of the things that will need Doing for it to pass Blue Slip here is what I already know it will need Done,
The To Do list - Consists of
- Swapping Front Guards and Grill with one's I am going to Purchase from MR-Muck
- Get all Electrics Working well, Rear faulty Blinker, no front lights at all
- Brakes Could benefit from a Fix- only as a precaution (not to bad overall though)
- Clutch needs Adjusting or even be Replaced
- Swap over some Legal Roadworthy Tires
No doubt I will add to the List.
1966 G60 - UPDATE 14/01/2012
Gday all, Well I figured out that Grunty need some Parts, to start of the New Year.
Well I am sure you more than likely realized I like to boast about how well my 66 G60 actually Runs. Well today She even Running that much better, I Went into Town, Managed not to Brake the bank account at Super Cheap Auto and Big-W and Spent a Total of $121 Dollars.
What I Purchased for "Grunty" Consisted of a New Battery, New Fuel Filter, 1m of Fuel Hose, Assortment of hose clamps, Some Brake Fluid, and a set of new Spark Plugs, and I can honestly Say she is a pearler.
Upload a Video of her Running today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofsY1rndNdo&context=C3379a1eADOEgsToPDskIM6SFKaqPmn7fIOOy-UElj
1966 G60 - UPDATE 20/01/2012
Anyways I better get on with the show, so over the last few days i have decided to installed a Front Diff Breather, I have also Replaced all Grease Nipple (most worked although there 45 years old, so time for a some new ones) and i had also lubricated up all the Spring Shackles, and while working in the Shackle area I decided to also Removed and Lubricate all shackle retaining Nut and Removed the Rusted out Split pins.
Next on the agenda for "Grunty the green Machine" is a Good thick coat of Cold Gal on the chassis followed buy a nice coat of chassis Black.
1966 G60 UPDATE 25/02/2012
Gday all, Well lately it been a bit Damp, but on the Nice days on the Weekends over the last 2-3 weeks have been getting the 66 out of the shed for some Sanding and Galvanizing/Priming. To now I have gone through Numerous Sandpapers, and about 10 Cans of Galvanizing, to help Prevent any Rust Happening. To be honest the Trucks really Looking Good, Some May remember that I got Someone to rebuild my 78's carby,the Bloke Happens to be an Ex Panel Beater and Spray Painter, And as I been Told I can get my G60 Painted for only $700-800, Supplies Included, Now that Great, that's why I am looking for the Paint Code :thumbup:
Hopefully I Can get the G60 on the Road this Year, When I can get the Guards from muck and Exchange Some Dough, This will Them Come along more, The Electrical Lighting is a Bit Dickey so I will Need to get that Solved, but until them I will Slowly Work on Brakes and the Body :thumbup:
Sanded and Painted the Driver side Door, Both front Floors along with the Dash and Windscreen. All in all I Was having great fun Painting, but sanding couldn't be worse :) ,I then Ran out So I Went back to the Paint Shop, later in the week :thumbup:
I also got to fitting the Things Required for Rego, Nothing mechanical just Yet. I Grabbed a Nice Pair of Barn Doors from Rooney 78,and today i mounted them to the rear of the G60,along with the Tire Carrier of my red 79. However the Truck really looks Great With the Rear End Enclosed and best of all my tools wont fall out now when i decide to take it for a test Drive.
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Nice and Shiny, took a lot of sanding
Great Non-Rusted Windscreen
as it Stands Now
Cheers, Tomorrow I will Find something else to do to the 66.
Catch you Later :thumbup:
1966 G60 - UPDATE 06/06/2012
been Working on Tidying up the Chassis, Rear Bar and Both diffs. I Cant Afford a Sandblaster to do it so I Gave it a red Hot Go with the Good old Barbecue Scraper and trusty Wire Drill disc and Removed all old Rust and Paint as much as Possible. Any way here is a Few pictures To show what I had done So Far, Not a great lot but I am working on it :thumbup:
1966 G60 - UPDATE 13/06/2012
Been Painting the Transfer and Gearbox With Automotive Application Paint from Boston, it the only Blue they had although its pretty Close to original Spec. I Purchased 4 Cans from local Paint Shop of the Same Type of Paint But in Black,there was a problem and I couldn't Use a Full can of Paint as it Ran Out Half Way, So the Batch was Recalled.
When the New Batch arrives I Will Grab 4 or 5 Cans Of Black, Tidy the Chassis As Best As Possible and Spray Away, She Does Look Good.
1966 G60 - UPDATE 08/09/2012
Today I went to town and Picked up our family’s Travel Itinerary and all documents for our Trip to Tasmania in December . While in there I Went to the Local Paint shop and got a Can of Paint that cost $13.50. I have now Finally Settle on a Color that I am happy with, It is of a Blue/Greyish Color.
I have also Got some new Masonite sheeting that I got to reline all the old Masonite panels on both the front Doors, I also Painted them up. I haven’t got to doing the drivers floor as of yet there is a few section of rust to be cut out and replaced first but noting of big Difficulty.
I will also have to get another can of Black Paint to do the Vents and also I got some new Stainless Bolts and washers to put on the inside (Allan Key headed, will allow easy Removal in the Future)
So what do you Think of the Patrol

1966 G60 - UPDATE 09/09/2012
Well 2/3 of the Masonite is fitted onto the Drivers side Door as Now, I cut the Largest Masonite pieces during the day, Then later drop the parents off in the night for a Function so I them Came back home and Got back into it. I finally Got the other handles of (Interior Door/Window Winder) as was surprised that actually still had the plastic on most of them.
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:35 pm

I Go the other Masonite Pieces cut at about 10.30pm last night, Cave them a Coat and I am now awaiting a new Can of Paint to do the finishing touches on the Masonite.
I tried the Stainless Alan Key Headed Bolts only to find out that they were the Wrong Size, I got 5x25mm ones
1966 G60 - UPDATE 09/09/2012
Well 2/3 of the Masonite is fitted onto the Drivers side Door as Now, I cut the Largest Masonite pieces during the day, Then later drop the parents off in the night for a Function so I then Came back home and Got back into it. I finally Got the other handles of (Interior Door/Window Winder) as was surprised that actually still had the plastic on most of them.
I Go the other Masonite Pieces cut at about 10.30pm last night, Cave them a Coat and I am now awaiting a new Can of Paint to do the finishing touches on the Masonite.
I tried the Stainless Alan Key Headed Bolts only to find out that they were the Wrong Size, I got 5x25mm ones
1966 G60 - UPDATE 14/09/2012
Well having done a bit or interior work over the last week I have run out of Paints, Screws ect. So I thought why not take a further inspection at the Fuel Tank. The Previous owner said the Tank was Rusted through, so he had been using a Jerry Can on the Passenger Floor.
Yesterday I fished out the Tank from under the bench to see how bad the tank was actually Rusted through, After undoing the Tank cradle I Found that the Tank wasn’t actually rusted through, but the cradle was. (I think PO assumed it was just a Tank with no cradle). There is one Leak around the Top area, noting a bit or Silicon or Gasket goo wont fix Image
Anyway I drained as much as I could of the old Stale Fuel, which was filthy color, I have a few liters if any one want some spare free Fuel..... Any Takers :roll:
The Cradle is rusted in the Bottom, Mum has a Spare sheet of stainless Steel Lying around, or I will Co to the metal Yard and get them to weld a New Sheet over it.
1966 G60 - UPDATE 17/09/2012
Well this week is Exam week for my year which is YR11. The days I haven’t got exams on, or if there in the Mornings or Afternoons I only have to show up so I basically get the Days of. I figured it time to keep doing work on the G60.
I got the Fuel tank out as I mentioned in a Previous thread. I flushed it out Several times and I have also Since patched the Leak around the Top are Using SELLEY’s Kneed it which turns as hard as Steel once it sets. You can see the area which I Repaired around the entire edge or the Area where the Fuel Line connects . Image
Also I finished painting the interior of the G60. In the Back I have now also put down a couple of Sheets of Plywood down and Glued a Sheet of Marine Carpet from Bunning’s to it, Which will Give some padding to the Items that will be Carried about in the back once I get it Registered, and will also act to Protect the Paint on the Rear Floor.
While I Was Painting the inside I decided to get the Front Seats out for a “Clean up” I gave them a Quick Wipe down with some detergent and Warm water. While I had the Seats out I Inspected the Seat Springs and frames, These Seats are excellent and have not one bit of rust on them, so I Put them back in and Replaced the Old Split Pins that Retain the Seats Pins from Falling out of the brackets with some Shiny new ones.
Sometime in the not so distant Future I am Going to be picking up a Soft-top Frame and Will tidy that up and then I will Go about Getting a Canvas made up.
The Carbie the 66 G60 is running is a Stromberg Unit. It has a Old crappy Looking non-original Air filter set up so I think that I will go out to my Local Wrecking yard and Raid the Original Oil bath Air filter of it. From memory it has a bit of rust on the metal part so I will Probably Swap the old One of my Red 79 of my Blue 78’s Filter and use the best Condition one on my 66.
The Oil bath Filter on the 1977/78 Wreckers G60
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:36 pm

The Oil bath Filter on my 78 Blue G60
The Oil bath Filter on my 79 Red G60
1966 G60 - UPDATE 21/09/2012
Today I picked up the remains of a G60 soft-top frame a mate had sitting out the back in the grass behind his shed. I didn’t assume that it would turn out to be this bad of condition with the 2 hoop parts being in the best condition. It took a while to find the parts and still ended up leaving with out the parts to make a complete frame. It was free and it will come in handy for a template to use when I take it to the metal yard to get a new Frame fabricated up. Image
I also went out to the wrecking yard to get a Factory air Filter assembly, there was no filter left so I suspect either it was to poor to sell or there is another g60 enthusiast around that I haven’t managed to find yet, So I ended up using the one of my 79 G60. Image
1966 G60 - UPDATE 07/10/2012
Today I spent in the Garage, tinkered with the Brakes and another bleed of them. Also yesterday afternoon i fitted the parts to an old soft-top frame I picked up of a mate, it’s very ruff overall.
While working around the Front end I jacked up both front wheel and turn the Steering wheel side to side, herd an unusual noise and later after a quick inspection revealed that the Tie rod is hitting on the front diff ,any idea what could have caused this as I have never herd it before. Also my original rims a quick degrees and hose off, pumped them up a bit and then put them back on.
1966 G60 - UPDATE 08/10/2012
Well Today something very hard to find arrived in the post today, Original MWB soft-Top Canvas
1966 G60 - UPDATE 09/10/2012
Now I just need to organize the soft-top frame now, and all is good
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:37 pm

1966 G60 - UPDATE 02/12/2012
I went G60 Picking locally, scored my self 3 original G60 Rims, A Pair of Original front Seats, Original Locking fuel Cap and a set of vintage Tradition Number plates .
Fitted the Old Traditional ‘NSW’ Number plates to the Replica, Fake Bumper on Grunty ,the old plates look at home on the old Girl, I am also Running the Better Skinny Tires on Grunty at moment, they look good, except there mounted on land cruiser rims.
Next Weekend the Newly manufactured Fuel tank cradle will hopefully be ready top be picked up and then installed back into the G60.
1966 G60 - UPDATE 16/03/2013
Been painting the 66 interior again, but this time it back to its original Color that it left the dealership back in 1966. I am painting the interior with Custom Tinted Aerosol Cans, which is Actual Automotive paint, while the out side will be done by a mate, who is a great spray painter/panel beater, although I did have a go painting the rear Driver side quarter and side panel.
And I also decide to have a Go at painting the engine, looks pretty original, need to freshen up the Rocker Cover though, does anyone know the paint code of the green that the cover is painted
The Color is #558 NISSAN VALLEY GREEN, which is actually the same color as Ferdy's 62 is.
Haven't finished the interior yet, but a couple of more weekends she will be done.

1966 G60 - UPDATE 17/03/2013
Painted the valve Cover, used the same green Paint color as the exterior and interior will be, just need to get one of the Major Tune-Up Stickers for it, while the color I used still looks quiet original.
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:38 pm

just a Photo to see what it will be looking like with the canvas on when it finished

1966 G60 - UPDATE 23/03/2013
Dropped of my original G60 wheels which has crappy split side walled tires and my Toyota Split rims which have the good,roadworthy tires of at My Local Tyrepower.
The Road track majors will be mounted to the original G60 wheels,and the poor old Worn-out tires will be fitted to the Toyota Rims, with all new tubes in the G60 Rims.
1966 G60 - UPDATE 07/04/2013
well the 66 Project is looking more original like it was 47 years ago. Painted The engine bay with the Original Green that the patrol was which is #558 NISSAN VALLEY GREEN.
I also Have Removed the Seats and done 95 % of the interior in the Same Green Color as well, All I have to finish is a small section of the rear Tub.
On the outside I need to Replace broken Front Windscreen Glass, and Install a set off the good guards from Mr Muck, then its Paint time and Electrical time and hopefully Roadworthy Time :)
here is some pictures
The Inside Image
The Engine Bay

Here is some older Photos of my self Driving, and also the 66 G60,excuse the ugly mug Image
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:44 pm

1966 G60 - UPDATE 05/08/2013
Got the 66 out of the shed to see what the Bumper Assembly looks like out in the sun and in the flesh, it looks really good, however the 1966 G60 is running like a bag of Crap ,and only just got in an out of the Garage, it Runs smooth with a Choke, but it wont let you rev it at all as it just stalls and splutters, so it idled in and out of the shed. I would like to know what the problem is with it running, when you go to accelerate you hear air sucking.
I have a Feeling the Carby Is the Problem, however I think the Petrol pump is On it last legs, and is not supplying enough pus to keep the barrel filling up full, but still has enough fuel in the barrel.
I Fitted up the custom made Number plate Bracket which looks original, I made up Yesterday but let the gloss black paint dry over night, and the bracket looks quiet neat. Also I sat the Re-painted original G60 Crank handle.
With out the Crank handle
tomorrow I will paint the Bonnet, grill and drivers front guards, then re-fit the head and front indicator light to the guards.Image
I will be taking more pictures after I Paint the front guards
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:49 pm

1966 G60 - UPDATE 09/08/2013Hi all been hard it the last few Days, Polished up the front Chrome light rings for the front indicators, there very good Condition and no pitting at all.
Grunty is really starting to Come along, I need to get it to the auto Electrician Soon and Brake lines sorted out then, but I am willing to have a Go doing the font lights myself is someone wasn't to give us a guide through :)
Im Not to Sure about you folks, but I Loved Old Grunty
But I can honestly say, I love New Grunty just the Same :) What Your Thoughts

Also pinched a brake line of my 72 G60 and the 66 now has brakes, but take 3 Full pumps of the petal to work, but I didn't bleed them very good to be honest, as I was low on brake fluid.

I will post more photos of new grunty this afternoon.

Also came across a 1963 G60 softop frame, which i might buy.

Also i need to get the Little patches of rust sorted, and then find some Correct Length MWB Rear seats,lights,shocks and then,its of for a roadworthy Image
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:01 pm

1966 G60 - UPDATE 09/09/2013
Finally got around to properly tidyign up the G60's engine. I have finished the passenger Side of the Engine at the moment :)
A Shot of the rare Original toolbox and the original Nissan jack that I have for it still
1966 G60 - UPDATE 25/09/2013
This Beauty Rocked up in the mail Today, from Rob in New Zealand(G60 Forum associate) :dance: . He said it still works but Diaphragm is slowly starting to leak that why he never kept using it, nothing a rebuild kit cannot fix.
Also got the manifold Sorted and got new studs put in, painted and Fitted back up with a new manifold gasket, new manifold to head bolts, new stud Nuts and also new Shake proof washers (what a challenge they were to find )
1966 G60 - UPDATE 26/09/2013
All back together,The primer pumps are very rare, never seen one in real life before only in pictures. In my Opinion the only thing looking out of place on this G60's engine is the Stromberg Carby :naughty: :doh: , would love to go back to a Hitachi VC42 :pray: Image
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby G60Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:14 pm

1966 G60 - UPDATE 28/09/2013
Today i was Quiet . I went to a few parts store ordered a new Cork Sump Gasket (the parts guy actually new what a G60 was, and we had a good chat) brought some Clear Fuel hose and a fitting for the fuel pump, and some new bolts and washers to use when i refit the sump.
Once I got home I got hard at work on the 66 g60. Got Stated by Sanding and cleaning up the sump pan ad them primed and painted it, it turned up quiet well and will be hopefully back on Tuesday afternoon.
While I let it slowly dry (takes 8-9 hours) I pulled the Povo type Fuel line from it (I originally removed the original Fuel line which was steel and ran just rubber fuel hose) and them I spent 30-minuets polishing up the new fuel line to put in which is a length of copper Hose which was part of the previous house which had burnt down before we purchased the property.
With the new Copper Fuel line in i then removed the rubber fuel hose from the petrol pump and reconnected with clear petrol Hose as it would have been originally, and looks quiet good however, I want some fully clear hose with no rope type stuff in it.
I also have though that some of the Spark plug leads are way to long.
I grabbed a handful or old spare spark plug leads i had on the parts shelf and started placing them around in a way that the leads are not hanging or dangling all over the engine bay. Using the old plugs only as a guide I think the way i have it now is perfect, not to long and there not to short and there all neatly bunched together.
New leads in a neat manner
1966 G60 - UPDATE 29/09/2013
Also I got around to replacing the 3 Cup Washers and Rubber bits that go over the Studs on the head, so the valve cover can be bolted on. The Rubbers were more than work out so I made some new ones using the Rubber Stripping that goes between the Dash and windscreen which I salvaged from my 77 before I sent it to scrap.
Quiet please how they turned out :)
G60Michael
fire trailer

Postby scrub turkey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm

top job mate
Bear Grylls calls it Man vs Wild
In Australia we call it camping
scrub turkey
fire trailer

Postby bob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 pm

You have done a beaut job on the '66 G60 Micheal you should be very proud! I bought a new 72 G60 and done many, many care free private trips, and in the old Landrover owners club, I was at that time the only Nissan Patrol owner in the club and I was always there at the end of the trip, due in part to the bruit strength and durability of the old girl,it always called "Jeepy"
bob
fire trailer

Postby beaujest4 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Awesome build and top report, thanks for sharing
Cheers Al

Life is the Greatest gift we are given, Make it the Greatest thing you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpzveeXLO8
beaujest4
fire trailer

Postby Kenny Koala » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Yes we had a lot of fun in old jeepy

:thumbsup:
Kenny Koala
fire trailer

Next

Return to Projects and Build ups