Rodeo Tranny oil fill plug stuck!

All other makes of fourby tech issues here

Rodeo Tranny oil fill plug stuck!

Postby Leedo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 am

open for any tips,

the oil fill plug on the deo is stuck and badly rounded, any tips or remedies to get it out??

Leedo
Leedo

Postby nig » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Sorry, but I dont really know how to help you get it out - I have always been a bit paranoid about the same thing as mine was a bugger to get off first time, and its hard to get in there. You might need to get some professional assistance

To make sure I dont have that issue I now always use the correct tool (24mm ring spanner) and coat he treads of the plug with silicon gasket goo, which apparantly stops the threads siezing - works for me anyway.

Good luck with it.

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby Taziiy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:22 pm

can you get a pair of these onto it
Taziiy

Postby Leedo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:11 pm

thanks guys,
the head was not in best shape to start with and only got worse with frustration, not sure if its spose to have a washer but it doesn't have one and the plug is turned hard into the cast alloy.

while you guys are on the ball..

on the weekend my A/C compressor failed ending in spun bearings and the pulley locking up, lost power steer and belt snapped while limping it home,
the deo is setup with 1 V belt from crank to alternator and fan, and 1 V belt to the A/C and power steer(not sure if this is right as the local auto-pro guy tells me its not right). any insight as to how it should be setup would be great, right now i think ill get another A/C compressor($150 with 3month warrenty) and stay with the 2 belt setup.

Leedo
Leedo

Postby nig » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:07 pm

What motor & year model is yours?

My 94 model 4JB1-T (2.8 diesel) has a single belt driving the alternator, and 2 belts driving both the power steering & air conditioning - ie there are 3 grooves in the harmonic balancer & 2 grooves on the power steering & air conditioner pulleys.

The old 2.6 petrol model I used to have had 3 belts, one each for the alternator, power steering & alternator, with single groove pulleys on each and 3 grooves on the harmonic balancer.

Hope this helps - did you get you filler plug out yet?

nig

Postby Leedo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:31 pm

filler still stuck :(

mines its a 96 4jb1t, so its 1 belt that forms a triangle round the balancer+alternator+fan hub, and 2x belt forming a triangle round the balancer+a/c+power steer

if that is the case it was setup right but only running 1 belt rather than 2 for balancer+a/c+power steer.

thanks again nig.
how is your deo going?
i treated mine to a new clutch slave as the last one had done a seal and was spongy and smelly.

Leedo
Leedo

Postby nig » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm

What you said about the belts sounds right - forgot about the water pump, but yes, the alternator belt does that too.

My truck is getting quite a bit done on it - it is at that point in its life where lots of stuff is worn out, but I have spent too much on it to walk away from it. :rolleyes: So over the last 6 months it has had a new clutch, front ball joints, steering tie rod & idler bearings. I've got new set of lower control arm bushes that I am waiting for a clear weekend so I can get stuck into fitting them, and I might put in some new front shocks while it is all pulled apart.

Best recent mod of all though was putting 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust on it - now it goes real well, boosts from 1500 rpm and pulls through to 4000 and also uses less fuel.:grin:

Jobs still to be done include getting a seal kit put in the fuel pump - that one will cost a bit though so I am kind of putting it off.

nig

Postby Leedo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:28 pm

nice work, i'd like a new tailpipe but its not high on the list,
new a/c pump is on but i got the wrong belt.. got a 1450mm where i need 1500mm min..whoops but thats only a 5min job when i get the right one.

the deo has not cost me enough to make me wanna get rid of it, and like yours its just alot of little things wearing out, mine had 250 000km on it when i got it and now has 260 000 odd kays and all that has gone wrong were things what probably were neglected by previous owners but you get that.

Cheers

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Leedo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:40 pm

just got a quote to get tranny plug out.. 60bucks if it comes easy and 600bucks if its hard(gotta drop box and drill it out)
bloke said its a common issue with gearboxes caused by battery strap causing plug to fuse into cast gearbox(sounds weird aye)

second hand box might be cheaper ha ha

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Taziiy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:22 pm

the first option sounds good dont want to think about the 2nd and 3rd option they sound expensive
Taziiy

Postby Leedo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:12 am

time to bite the bullet and get the box dropped and drilled, tried welding a lug on it but it wouldnt take so i guess its not metal.

plan on using my K-Rudd money to get it sorted out and hopefully all the internals are ok.

anyone know a transmisson mob in the newcastle area??

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Tas terror » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 am

I know this may sound stupid but try gently heating the plug with a HAIRDRYER sometimes just a little external heat works on these types of stuck problems.
[SIZE="6"][/SIZE][color="Magenta"][/color]I came,I saw, I locked the hubs--
[color="Magenta"]Mine Not His 4WD Club ( Tas)[/color]
Tas terror
fire trailer

Postby Leedo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:36 am

that does not sound stupid at all... but since i have already had several goes at heating it with a blow torch and no luck im starting to think its time for a professional to do it lol. neat idea all the same man.

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Dobbo » Tue May 26, 2009 12:07 am

From the title I was expecting to open a thread on a transgender rodeo clown. I am glad it isn't.

Maybe
Hyundai (the lowliest form of human transport)
Dobbo
fire trailer

Return to Other Makes